Sunday, December 5, 2010

Why Is It So Dang Hard To Pick A Baby Name?


Nicknames stick to people, and the most ridiculous are the most adhesive.  ~Thomas C. Haliburton


I was looking up baby names for my niece today.  Out of 1,000 names, there were 6 they liked.  It seems that many names conjure up a person who is annoying, who is a demon-kid, or doesn't go with the last name.  And, of course, my whole family also had their opinions of the names that were read off the list.  I was thinking to myself, How in the world did I come up with my own kid's names? There is even a professional service that, for $49.99, will send you name suggestions with some information you input.  I also saw a name generator that will give you 30 names when you input three you like.  Other important ideas to consider are:  If a mean childhood nickname can be made from that name; If that initials spell something embarrassing (e.g. P.U.S.); or how many kids at one time have that name.  I sub for a class with 2 Haileys, 1 Kaylie, 1 Jadee, and 1 Shaylee....It gets confusing!  My niece's last name is Lesseg, which eliminates lots of names.  Anything that ends with an L sound or is too rhymy doesn't go with it.  I am of the opinion to find a name and sit with it until the baby is born ,but, and this is important, don't tell anyone!  EVERYONE has an opinion of every kind of name!  If you Mom or Aunt Margaret don't like it, you are back to the drawing board. Pick the one you like and let the name be a surprise!  At that point, everyone will know there is no turning back!  This is my advice for Amber!  Although I do know of an angel named Janice!  Ha! Ha!.....

P.S. How about we find out the gender of your baby and leave the name a surprise?   I would really like to know!

1 comment:

: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.